In a statement issued on Tuesday, September 5, 2016, the Liberal Party (LP) of the Philippines branded the accusation that the party is plotting to oust President Rodrigo Duterte as a preposterous tale meant to divert the attention of the people from the 6.5 billion Shabu smuggling controversy.
“The so-called LP ouster plot against the President is another patently preposterous tale being weaved against the political opposition,”
the Liberal Party said.
The smuggling of said illegal drugs which came from China is now the subject of an investigation before the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee. The hearings exposed not only the incompetence of the leadership of the Bureau of Customs but also proved that rampant and unabated graft and corruption still exist within the bureau despite the campaign promise of the president to put an end to corruption within six months from assuming office.
Worse, the names of presidential son and Davao City vice-mayor Paolo Duterte and the husband of presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, Mans Carpio, kept cropping out during the previous hearings prompting Sen. Antonio Trillanes to move that the two be invited by the committee. This resulted in a heated verbal exchange between him and committee chair Sen. Dick Gordon. Gordon eventually filed a complaint against Trillanes before the Senate Ethics committee.
This development put Malacanang on the defensive to the point that the president of the country resorted to name calling.
The alleged ouster plot, as well as the attempt to assassinate the president, was first revealed by perennial election loser Greco Belgica. However, the said information was immediately denied by the Secretary of National Defense Delfin Lorenzana who even called Belgica’s fantastic and outrageous claim as fake news. Belgica both ran as senator in the 2013 and 2016 elections. Duterte even endorsed his candidacy last year. However, he miserably lost in both elections.
The timing of Belgica’s disclosure is suspect since he came out with this ridiculous information when there seems to be a growing and persistent public demand for Paolo Duterte and Mans Carpio to attend the Senate hearings.
“Whoever crafted this ridiculous story is desperately trying to divert public and media’s attention from the P6.5-billion shabu smuggling controversy involving the Davao Group,”
the Liberal Party said.
The Liberal senators lead by minority leader Frank Drilon, Kiko Pangilinan, Bam Aquino and even detained Senator Leila de Lima as well as their fellow minority senators Risa Hontiveros and Trillanes had been calling on their colleagues in the Senate to uphold the independence of the Senate and exert all efforts to ferret out the truth about the Shabu smuggling into the country.
“The paramount issue of national interest at hand is the allegation that the Davao Group allowed the entry of billions of pesos worth of illegal drugs in connivance with BoC officials and drug syndicates despite the so-called war on drugs. Huwag nilang ilihis ang usapin,”
the party said
The party added that if it is proven true that billions worth of Shabu were entered into the country under the very noses of Customs officials and that members of the first family and those who are close to them are involved in this illegal and criminal activity, then the government’s drug war is a hoax.
“We need to know the truth because if the allegations are true, then what we have is a phony or fake war on drugs,”
the party added.