Local government Nation People Politics

Political Chopsuey

Political Chopsuey

What’s up, loyal readers?

Backroom Politics is launching a special feature which we would like to call political chopsuey. Instead of concentrating on one specific topic for an article which by the way will remain to be the regular set up of our blog articles, we will do a Political Chopsuey series from time to time that will tackle tidbits of issues in politics, governance, crimes, policies and almost anything and everything under the sun.

So why chopsuey? Chopsuey is a popular food consisting of meat, egg and vegetables. It is basically a mixture of different kinds of food and ingredients. And since our new project will feature bits and pieces of various items or information ranging from politics and other social issues, we dubbed it as political chopsuey.

Here we go.

Department of Injustice

The Department of Justice (DOJ) is once again embroiled in a controversy.

Still fighting off the heat brought about by the dismissal of various drug charges filed against notorious suspected drug lords and the admission to the Witness Protection Program of pork barrel mastermind Janet Lim Napoles, Sec. Vitaliano Aguirre and the DOJ is again the subject of widespread criticism after the department resolved to clear the suspects in the gruesome murder of Bohol Mayor Gisela Bendong-Boniel.

Senior Superintendent Jonathan Cabal, former intelligence chief of the Police Regional Office (PRO-7) in Central Visayas and the lead investigator in the said case, described the withdrawal of the parricide charge filed against the late mayor’s husband, Bohol Board Member Rey Niño Boniel, the prime suspect in the case, as disturbing and alarming.

In a strongly-worded statement, Cabal blasted DOJ Undersecretary Reynante Orceo who issued and signed the subject resolution.

“A plethora of evidence like CCTVs and other depositions had been presented by the prosecution only to be dismissed by an undersecretary who only read the petition by the defense and simply disregarded the panel of prosecutors of Lapu-Lapu who were circumspect in all angles and saw probable cause?” Orceo said.

“That is very alarming! The DOJ might be renamed Department of Injustice for this latest blunder?” Orceo added with a mix of disappointment and sarcasm.

As expected, Aguirre once again washed his hands off and claimed that he was not aware that one of his undersecretaries issued such resolution.

Persida Acosta’s Office

Malacanang yesterday issued Memorandum Circular No. 43 suspending work in government offices including government-owned and controlled corporations (GOCC) and local government units (LGU) as well as classes in public schools and state colleges and universities starting at 12:00 in the afternoon of March 28, 2018 to give government employees more time to prepare for the observance holy week

However, there is one head of office who thinks that she is higher than the president and that her agency is beyond the control of Malacanang palace.

We were swarmed by complaints from angry lawyers and rank-and-file employees from the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) saying that the high and mighty Persida Rueda-Acosta does not want to recognize and follow the memorandum signed by Executive Secretary Salvador C. Medialdea.

“We were told that if we want to go home early, we can do so but will be deemed to have worked halfday or undertime. Thus, our vacation leaves will be deducted. That is plain illegal and unfair,” a field lawyer fumed.

“Talo pa ni madam ang president ng Pilipinas. May sarili yata siyang batas,” a staff from the head office told us through a private message.

Acosta and PAO are notorious for not complying with work suspensions even in cases of disasters and in emergency situations ridiculously claiming that the employees of the agency are considered frontline public servants.

According to the complaints we recieved, Acosta tried to justify this latest refusal of the office to implement MC No. 43 by saying that lawyers and staff are given special inquest allowance from time to time.

From Fake News To Fake Surrender

Another fakery from the Duterte administration?

The Philippines Defense Forces Forum (PDFF), a Facebook page administered by insiders from the military, exposed the “moro-moro surrender” of alleged Abu Sayyaf members to President Rodrigo Duterte.

“We have received info from the community that the more than 70 Abu Sayyaf who surrendered to Duterte yesterday in Patikul, Sulu are not genuine Abu Sayyaf terrorists but mainly MNLF Misuari Faction members pretending to be Abu Sayyaf,” the PDFF claimed.

“The weapons surrendered are also mostly old, decrepit and non-functional. It was, according to source, a moro-moro surrender ceremony (pun intended),” the PDFF continued.

The said post has been shared 700 times.

It’s the president’s 73rd birthday!

As part of his birthday message to his boss, presidential spokesperson Roque said that we should be reminded of how blessed we are as a nation for having a decisive and compassionate president in Duterte.

Well, if Roque is talking about how decisive his master is in murdering his own people, in neutralizing the political opposition through unconstitutional and oppressive means and giving away our island and sovereign rights to China, and about how compassionate his principal is in treating the notoriously corrupt like the Marcos family and Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and known and self-confessed drug lords whose cases had been dismissed by the state prosecutors of the DOJ, then we totally agree with him.

Happy birthday, Mr. Duterte. We simply wish that you will have less of Fentanyl intake and you will have the courage to stand up to China and more courage to sign that freaking bank waiver.